Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Break Reading Challenge 2011-2012: Part 2

Here are days 9 - 17! Check out Part 1 on this blog for days 1-8.


THANK YOU TO JULIE & KARIN, OF WWW.EDIFYINGANDEDGY.COM, FOR HOSTING THIS CHALLENGE. WHAT FUN! I will miss the daily dose of fun and challenges.

DAY 17: BOOK TRAILER FOR MY #1 BOOK OF 2011
The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick  

This one barely squeaked in on 2011 - see my recent blog for more of my thoughts - but it probably would have still been #1 for 2012.  Whether you see the movie or not (I haven't and probably won't) all young and old must read this book.


  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 16: TOP 11 OF 2011
The challenge didn't say we were limited to YA novels, so I'm including everything from children's to adult!
#11
#10
#9
#8
#7
#6
#5














#4
#3
#2
#1




























It was definitely tough to come up with just eleven  (ten shown here!ah, the mystery) books for the year! This is not so much because I read so many wonderful books, but because I was again reading at all.  Work and life had separated me from my love of books, and once we were reunited, it seemed nothing I read was unworthy. (With one exception, and I still can't find any use for the book Jumped. Read it if you want to feel hopeless about this generation of kids.)  My dear friend has a term for people like me - people who love everything they read, just love it.  It's not a polite term, but it's apropos. :-)  I did see a pattern in my favorites, and that is apparently I like books with illustrations. That's a hint at what my top pick will be for tomorrow! Stay tuned.
============================================================
DAY 15: READING & BLOGGING GOALS
Done! My first goal for 2012 is to have reading and blogging goals!  Whoo hoo! That felt good.

READING GOALS:
I'm going to be careful, here. On Jan. 2nd, I am starting a full time job - one that requires I be some place a certain time and stay there until a certain time.  I haven't had this kind of job in nearly 16 years!  There will be some adjusting, I believe.  On Jan. 17th, I begin my 5th semester of grad school, and I'll not only have my course load, but an exit exam to study for and a portfolio to assemble.  Oh, and let's not forget my volunteering obligations and my family to take care of. . .and my husband traveling out of town during the week. I have a tendency to over-commit myself and end-up overwhelmed. So. . .
READING GOAL 1:  Don't stress-out about getting books read.  Reading is a pleasure activity, and when it becomes an obligation, then it loses much of its charm.
READING GOAL 2: Always have a book in progress, and try to knock-out a couple of YA books each month. And in that regard, refer back to goal 1.
READING GOAL 3: Keep track of books read on Goodreads.

BLOGGING GOALS:
I just started my blog due to a class requirement over the summer, and I have faithfully reviewed all the children's and YA books I've read, and posted links to articles I felt were relevant. But I'm pretty sure that I am the only one who looks at my blog.  So. . .
BLOGGING GOAL 1: Get others to look at my blog and comment. I probably will try to do this through the kids on library council or my professional Facebook account, and through Twitter.
BLOGGING GOAL 2: Improve the look and functions of my blog.  I am not sure if I'm willing to pay to have a blog, so I may be limited to what I can do, but I will take the time to figure it out.
BLOGGING GOAL 3: Stay committed to blogging about every book I read and posting something YA related at least once a week.
======================================================
DAY 14: COLLAGE OF ALL BOOKS READ IN 2011
This is very cool.  I used shapecollage.com to drag & drop the book covers to make my collage.  I did not include all the children's books I read, and I didn't include all the textbooks I had to read for grad school. And since I wasn't using Goodreads until the summer, I probably have forgotten a lot of the books I read!  Nonetheless, that left me with 61 YA and adult books read this year - not a bad start for my re-entering the world of reading.
Here's my collage:



================================================================
DAY 13: 2012 READING CHALLENGES
Since I am newly returned to the world of reading after years in the corporate world, I definitely have my very own reading challenge to fit in (on top of my full time job, grad school, and family obligations). That is very simply to be actively reading a YA book every week, and to try to get through several a month.  This is a huge commitment for me!  I realize I can't go back and catch-up on this front, but a way to stay current will be to participate in a reading challenge or two.  These are two that interested me, and I probably will choose one or the other so I don't spend to much time on new-ish authors.
It looks like there are some good mini-challenges and contests on the DAC, so that might keep me more in-line with it; however, there aren't specific guidelines as to how many books we're supposed to read.

I like the idea of the sophomore reading challenge - the second time around for an author. We'll see about the book lists that come out.  It may be too hard for me to find a sophomore book that's not a sequel to something I haven't read yet!

Should be fun!
===============================================================
DAY 12: GUESS THE COVERS
ACK! I spent waaaaaaay too much time on this and only could figure out 8 of 10!  Fun, but a not-so-gentle reminder to me that I have no self-discipline with this kind of stuff. Like a treasure hunt!

===================================================
DAY 11: 26TH PAGE, 26TH LINE OF BOOK CURRENTLY READING



". . .ticular reason, poisoned him with a dish of spotted eels, . . ."
===========================================================
DAY 10: CHOOSE A BOOK THAT WAS RECEIVED AS A GIFT AND MEANS SOMETHING SPECIAL TO YOU.
Nancy and Plum, by Betty McDonald
My copy
latest release

15 comments:

  1. How special that your husband found the book for you! The reading bug hit me too when I was in 5th grade. Thanks for posting!
    Julie(Edifying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that collage. I want to go back and do a shape collage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals! I especially like the reminder that "reading is a pleasure activity". I need that reminder when I get overwhelmed with review copies for publishers and authors. Also I noticed that you read books by Alexander McCall Smith. I love The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series and have read all of them so far. How are you liking the other series? I haven't ever tried any of his other series. I think I have been careful about that because I am a series addict. I'm very much impressed that I haven't gone out and bought the whole Ladies Detective series. I have learned to be patient and wait for them from the library. But it has been tempting!

    Julie(Edifying)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These goals sound totally realistic and doable!!! You'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Julie - I just finished Hugo Cabret this morning and haven't actually started The Sunday Philosophy Club - I will let you know if I think it's up to standard. I had to laugh, because I DO have the whole Ladies' Detective Agency series of books! ha! I think I've only bought a few myself, as most have been Christmas or birthday gifts. Haven't ever watched it on HBO, though - you?
    I'm sure if I was reviewing books as a job, I would feel the pressure you do. Some day, perhaps. Enough on my plate for now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm totally jealous! The whole series? WOW! And yes, I have the video of the first season, is there more? I haven't seen any. haha, I wish that reviewing were a job because for a job you get paid. I don't get paid to review. That stinks! Although free books are always a bonus that feeds my addiction. Speaking of jobs...good luck with your new job! I know that feeling of going back to the grind after a long hiatus. You do have enough on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving seeing everyone's top picks. Nope, we didn't specify just YA, which is a good thing because I had some adult books on my list! Thanks for participating! Don't forget to participate tomorrow for the drawing for the grand prize package.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kind of like you. I enjoy most of what I read. I'm curious about the term your friend uses to describe that. Great picks. I really enjoyed ENDER'S GAME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same way. My dad says that every book I read is a "good" book. That's not really true, but I can usually find something I like about every book that I read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Kristine! Thanks for posting! I've picked this book up a couple of times and then have never read it so I return it. Good to know that it is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Julie - you really should read it. You will be absolutely enthralled, and it's a very quick read. Something like 250 drawings in it that move the story forward. I can totally see sharing this with grandchildren some day. (some day FAR away!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristine - I love that book!! I just reread it because my son wants to see the movie. He just finished Wonderstruck and I can't wait to see if it is as good as Hugo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Tracy - I will be anxious to hear about Wonderstruck. Please let me know what you think. We have been on the same page for most books we've both read, so I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That book trailer is awesome!!! I love Animoto! Have you read Wonderstruck yet? SOOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Karin - thanks! they are fun to make, though I wish I had more control. I am glad to hear you recommend Wonderstruck. Definitely will add it to the stack.

    ReplyDelete