Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Maze Runner

Dashner, J. (2009). The Maze Runner. NY: Delacorte Press.
YA Lit / Fantasy / Adventure / Thriller


This was a fast-paced page turner! I burned through this one overnight because I had to know the deal.  When I began realizing "the deal," it was reminiscent of Ender's Game to me, but different enough that I stayed interested.  The characters are pretty-well fleshed-out, and the convenient memory wipes of all the characters is acceptable to make the story work.  The violence was plentiful but the descriptions tame.  No profanity except the substitute words the Gladers have created; interestingly enough, by the end of the book, you feel like you're reading profanity! Might start using some of those words myself against slitheaded shucker. tee hee.

I may or may not read any of the sequels; I am pretty content with the ending of this first book and can guess that sequels will be a typical storyline of the young people trying to outsmart the adults, the evil adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment