Monday, November 21, 2011

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Brashares, A. (2001). The sisterhood of the traveling pants. NY: Delacorte Press.
LS5385 YA Lit / Teen choice

Oh, I just loved this book and the reminder of the power of the female bond.  The friendship these four main characters share is so realistic and multi-faceted.  These girls know each other so thoroughly and so deeply, and over the years, each has fallen into a position in the foursome.  Their commitment to each other and to the group as a whole is wonderful, and the magic pants keep them connected when they are forced apart for the first time in their lives.

I really could feel the pain and angst and loneliness each of these girls went through over this particular period of time in their lives, and the additional characters were all fleshed-out well enough that I actually teared-up reading the story. 

I think teenaged-girls and young adult females alike will love and relate to this story. (shoot, I'm OLD and I related).  It's a testimony to the power and comforts of real friendship, and it also has some great life lessons that some learn and face sooner than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment