Saturday, July 16, 2011

Charlotte's Web


White, E.B. (1952). Charlotte’s Web. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

LS5360: Newbery.  This was one of my favorite books as a little girl, as a little older girl, and now as a really old girl.  I pulled my old copy from my daughter’s book shelf, but I am not sure she’s ever read it. I'll bet if I got a new copy, she'd give it a look.

In the spirit of trying to improve upon my less than stellar one sentence explanations in my last analysis, I am going to try succinct and to-the-point wording this time.

Exposition:  The setting is the barn on Zuckerman’s Farm, in Maine, told by a narrator, using 3rd person omniscient point of view, who introduces us to the main characters Wilbur, Charlotte, and Fern.

Conflict: Wilbur finds out he’s being fattened-up to be slaughtered.

Rising Action: Charlotte concocts a plan to save Wilbur by spinning words about him into her web.

Climax: At the County Fair, Charlotte works tirelessly to spin a message in her web, winning a prize for Wilbur and saving his life.

Falling Action:  Wilbur realizes Charlotte is dying, and then Charlotte dies.

Resolution: Charlotte’s eggs hatch and three of the babies stay with Wilbur, which provides closure to Charlotte’s death.

Literary Elements: The most obvious literary element is the personification of the animals, as they talk and have human characteristics, but there is also considerable use of foreshadowing, especially in Charlotte’s words and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment