Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Woman In Black

Hill, Susan. (2002). The Woman In Black. NY: David R. Godine.
Adult for YA fiction / fantasy

I had been very interested in seeing this movie, but as is usually the case, I never got around to it. So, when I saw that it was available for download from my local library, I decided to give the book a shot. (Didn't realize that it had been written in the 80s.)

I expected more. This is a very classic, proper English ghost yarn, and of course having seen the movie trailers, I pictured Daniel Radcliffe the whole time. Strangely, he wasn't quite right and I didn't quite reconcile that while reading.

The story is very short at only 140 pages or so, and it ends very abruptly. I suppose that was an appropriate way for the story to go, but then, I am always thrown by the endings of eBooks because without the paper in hand, I never realize the story is about over.  There was a great deal of build-up, good suspense, good spookiness, but I just wanted more time with the ghost stuff. More of the townspeople personalities. More local stories and encounters and specifics.

It was entertaining and a nice change of pace from what I have been reading, and anyone who loves classic ghost stories and suspense will like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment