Sunday, February 5, 2012

Cinder

Meyer, M. (2012). Cinder.NY: Feiwel and Friends.
YA Lit / dystopian, sci-fi

UPDATE: Meyer has written a prequel called Glitches. Click here to see my review .

If it hadn't been the selection for the book club (Goodreads SHSU Library Science Book Club)I'm in, I probably wouldn't have picked-up a copy to read; after all, sci-fi is not so much my thing, and I am frequently bored by love stories. What a pleasant surprise was this spin-off of the Cinderella story, and I am so glad I read it.

Cinder is smart, strong, and independent, and though she does make some poor decisions (she is sixteen, after all), she deals with the consequences with level-headedness -- and a healthy dose of sarcasm!

The characters are well-defined, and as in the original version, you loathe the step-mother and step-sister. Cinder goes a step farther and adds in an evil queen to hate, too.   I liked that all adults weren't characterized as idiots, as is typical of many dystopian / strong teen protagonist novels. That same old storyline gets old fast.

The author did a pretty good job of making the reader have questions and then answering them later. And, it had a nice little twist or two.  The book ended in absolute chaos and so can't be a stand alone novel, so don't start it if you're not in for the long haul.  I really am looking forward to the next installment of The Lunar Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment