Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

Smith, A.M. (2011). The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party. NY: Pantheon Books.

Adult Lit for YA / Realistic Fiction / Mystery
Series: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

I am a fan of this series, and as always, this was just a fun, safe, clean little escape from reality. This was the 12th installment in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series, and where it could get stale by now, it doesn't. This book has plenty of storylines to keep it moving and ends with the marriage of Mma Makutsi and Phuti Radiphuti (this is NOT a spoiler given the title of the book!), which should add some new direction to future installments. 

There is just something about McCall Smith's writing style that is so very relaxing to me.  The main character, Precious Ramowatse is my own age and though her country and way of life is far from my own, I feel a connection when she harkens back to and longs for simpler times and a simpler way of life.  Yeah, if that doesn't sound like I'm getting old, I don't know what does!

No comments:

Post a Comment